Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Singing in my chains

Cash game poker provides the ultimate in freedom. As long as you have money left in your bankroll, no one can stop you from continuing to play. Tournament poker, in sharp contrast, imposes its constraints on you relentlessly. You start each tournament constrained, and the constraint ratchets up as the tournament goes on until you have virtually no freedom left. Strange as it may seem, I've found myself longing for the constraint of tournament poker lately. How could this be? The answer can be found in the final lines of Dylan Thomas's elegiacal poem "Fern Hill":

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea. 


The most beautiful art is that which is constrained within a form and yet which manages to transcend that form. Tournament poker, when played artfully enough, achieves that lofty goal. Starting tonight, I'm going to return to tournament poker, specifically the 8-game sit and gos. I don't know how long this sojourn will last, but I'm really looking forward to it!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 58 hands and saw flop:
 - 4 out of 8 times while in big blind (50%)
 - 6 out of 9 times while in small blind (66%)
 - 29 out of 41 times in other positions (70%)
 - a total of 39 out of 58 (67%)
 Pots won at showdown - 7 of 14 (50%)
 Pots won without showdown - 7


delta: $-29,016
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,709,371
balance: $9,842,270

No comments:

Post a Comment