Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Down is up

Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors. Captain Jack Sparrow is my favorite Johnny Depp character. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" is my favorite Captain Jack Sparrow movie. Johnny delivers so many great lines in it, it's an embarrassment of riches! One of my favorites is "Send this pestilent, traitorous, cow-hearted, yeasty codpiece to the brig". What does "At World's End" have to do with poker? It's simple, really. There's a great scene where Jack figures out that the way to get to World's End is to capsize his ship, The Black Pearl. He figures this out because of a cryptic phrase on the map he has to guide him. It takes him a while to figure it out; here's another great line he delivers while doing so: "Up is down. That's just maddeningly unhelpful. Why are these things never clear?". In poker, up is down and down is up. The way to make money is to lose money first. And the way to lose money is to make it first. You have to be prepared for the swings. Always! The most pronounced swing you can have from one night to the next is to be completely underwater one night and completely above water the next. That's what happened to me in my most recent two sessions. On Friday night, I was underwater the whole time, and last night, I was above water the whole time. I got curious to see if that's ever happened to me before, so I wrote a utility to find out. It's happened to me three times in all, twice before last night.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 21 hands and saw flop:
 - 3 out of 3 times while in big blind (100%)
 - 1 out of 2 times while in small blind (50%)
 - 11 out of 16 times in other positions (68%)
 - a total of 15 out of 21 (71%)
 Pots won at showdown - 3 of 4 (75%)
 Pots won without showdown - 5

delta: $52,104
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,433,204
balance: $9,338,303

No comments:

Post a Comment