Monday, December 1, 2014

The beauty of the blinds

On Friday night, on the penultimate hand of the session, I had my best 54o (five four offsuit) ever. It was a real outlier; I won a pot worth $160,032 with it, $103,281 of which was o.p.m. (other people's money). For comparison purposes, my next best 54o only won a pot worth $90,350, of which $36,750 was o.p.m. Friday night's big hand illustrates the beauty of the blinds. The blinds exist to ensure there's a modicum of action on every hand, but one of their unforeseen consequences is that players can end up seeing flops they never would have seen otherwise. Most of the time, I won't pay to see the flop with 54o. However, I happened to be in the small blind on Friday's big hand, so it was worth it to pay another small blind to see the flop. I hit a straight on the turn, and went all in with it. Somehow, miraculously, I got three callers! I think the reason they called was that I was the big stack, and they thought I was trying to bully them off their hands.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 27 hands and saw flop:
 - 3 out of 4 times while in big blind (75%)
 - 3 out of 4 times while in small blind (75%)
 - 12 out of 19 times in other positions (63%)
 - a total of 18 out of 27 (66%)
 Pots won at showdown - 5 of 5 (100%)
 Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $189,588
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,624,812
balance: $9,529,911

No comments:

Post a Comment