Saturday, December 13, 2014

The cruelest hand

Last night, I suffered the cruelest hand of my career. At least, it was the cruelest I can remember. The cruelty of a cruel hand has nothing to do with how much you lose on it; rather, it has to do with the false hope it instills in you, and the irony that it is that false hope alone which causes you to lose your money. Of course, it adds to the pathos if you happen to hit the felt on the hand, and also if you happen to lose a good amount of money on it. The icing on the cake is if you use both your hole cards and the river card to make your best hand. The more wired in you are to the board, the less likely it is for an opponent to be wired in harder. All of these factors were true in the final hand of last night's session. I was dealt Ts Qh. The flop came 9c 6s 6h. The turn was the jack of spades. The river was the king of hearts. So, as you can see, I "got there" on the river; I made a king high straight. It was the higher of the two possible straights I could have made on the river. Since I was using both my hole cards, and neither of them was the low card of the straight, there was no straight that could beat me. Since the board didn't have three cards to a flush, my hand couldn't be beaten by a flush. The only hands that could beat me were a full house or a four of a kind. The fact that the river card delivered me my straight made it less likely that it also delivered my opponent a full house. And yet, that's precisely what happened. My opponent turned over Ks 6c, and won a pot worth $71,486 with a full house, sixes full of kings. I lost $35,118 on the hand, hit the felt, and quit for the night. That was the second time I'd hit the felt in the session. I know when I'm not wanted :-)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 64 hands and saw flop:
 - 6 out of 8 times while in big blind (75%)
 - 6 out of 8 times while in small blind (75%)
 - 25 out of 48 times in other positions (52%)
 - a total of 37 out of 64 (57%)
 Pots won at showdown - 3 of 8 (37%)
 Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $-100,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,836,370
balance: $9,741,469

No comments:

Post a Comment