Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A bingo idiot

The United States has a bad reputation in a bunch of other countries, even in the sphere of poker. One of the foreign players in the tournament I entered last night had this to say about United States players: "bingoidiote". I took this to mean we are "Bingo idiots"; in other words, skill-free. He said this immediately after being pushed off a hand by aggressive play from a couple of American players. Unfortunately for me, this very same player took me to the felt sixteen hands after he'd made this comment, and celebrated with a derisory "bingooo". I wasn't able to retort, since no player who's not still alive can post to the chat window. Even had I been able to, though, I would've been hard-pressed to come up with a retort. Thinking about it dispassionately, my actions in that last hand actually sort of earned me the bingo idiot sobriquet. I realized afterwards that I'd played the hand as though I were in a cash game instead of a tournament. In a cash game, if you make a bad read, you can reup and recover. In a tournament, if you make a bad read, you're gone. The flop had a pair of tens in it, and my read was that my opponent didn't have a third ten. He disguised his hand by checking the flop; I bet the turn, and then he went over the top to put me all in. I insta-called, and that was all she wrote.

buy_in entry_fee num_players num_hands place winnings

  4500       500           6        88    26        0


delta: $-5,000
MTT 8-game balance: $122,500
balance: $9,617,530

No comments:

Post a Comment