Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The rake factor

I made a successful return to cash games last night. It would have been more successful had I not failed to take into account the rake factor. There was an unusually long stretch of heads up play in the latter half of the session. I thought I was holding my own just fine, but after the session had ended, in looking over the data I discovered I'd lost a whopping $17,000 in that stretch. As it turned out, my opponent had only made a profit of about $6,000; the other $11,000 which I'd lost had gone to the rake. The rake factor gets bigger the fewer players there are at the table. I really need to keep that in mind going forward. Two players who play each other dead even will eventually both go bust, due to both of them having to pay the rake. To make a profit when heads up in a cash game, not only do you have to do better than your opponent, you have to do better enough than your opponent to offset the rake you have to pay. What an infernal contraption the rake is!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 274 hands and saw flop:
 - 93 out of 99 times while in big blind (93%)
 - 87 out of 98 times while in small blind (88%)
 - 40 out of 77 times in other positions (51%)
 - a total of 220 out of 274 (80%)
 Pots won at showdown - 39 of 66 (59%)
 Pots won without showdown - 68


delta: $20,488
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,307,361
balance: $8,885,350

No comments:

Post a Comment