Thursday, August 13, 2015

T'otherest hands

One of my very favorite novels is Dickens's "Our Mutual Friend". I realized when rereading it some years ago that it's at least two, and probably even three or four, novels, all in one. It just doesn't seem possible that so many highly realized characters could inhabit the same book.

One of the villainous characters refers to one of the other characters as "t'otherest". This is his vernacular to indicate a second remove of familiarity. The speaker knows who one person is well, marginally knows who a second person ("t'other"), who is associated with the first person, is, and has no earthly idea who a third person ("t'otherest"), who is associated with the second person, could be.

In poker, beware t'otherest hands! Alas, this is a warning which is destined not to be heeded, by definition. A t'otherest hand is a hand you haven't even imagined is possible, so of course it's not possible to be wary of it.

On Monday night, I hit the felt three times. The second time hurt the most. I was up against a t'otherest hand. I'd been dealt 6c 8c. The flop came 6d Jc 6h. The turn was 8s, giving me a full house, and the river was 7s. I went all in on the river, and lost to an opponent who'd been dealt a pair of jacks. Hitting the flop as hard as I did, and then turning a full house, I just couldn't imagine a hand which could beat me. I stopped thinking, which is always a bad thing.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 128 hands and saw flop:
 - 14 out of 18 times while in big blind (77%)
 - 11 out of 20 times while in small blind (55%)
 - 38 out of 90 times in other positions (42%)
 - a total of 63 out of 128 (49%)
 Pots won at showdown - 6 of 16 (37%)
 Pots won without showdown - 5


delta: $-150,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,213,476
balance: $8,796,173

No comments:

Post a Comment