Thursday, July 14, 2016

The truth about deepstacks

Although there are massives running on PokerStars all the time, I don't think I've ever seen more than one running at a time. Actually, what I really mean is that I've never seen two competing massives both late registering at the same time. The practical upshot of this fact is that if I want to play the first massive I can find (and I always do), I have to take whatever happens to be on offer. Sometimes, the tables will be 9max; other times, they'll be 6max. Sometimes, the initial stake will be 1,500 in chips; other times, the initial stake will be 3,000 in chips. PokerStars calls the latter tournaments deepstacks. I have a counter-intuitive observation about deepstacks. I thought I'd do better in deepstacks than in non-deepstacks due to having a greater skill level than the average player; my reasoning was that since I had more chips than normally to start with, I'd have more time to play, and my skill advantage would emerge. Looking at the numbers, though, I realize that the opposite might be true. The higher your skill level, the abler you are to deal with having a short stack, and the longer you'll survive with one. In a deepstack tournament, the less skilled players have more time for their riskier play to reap some big rewards.

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE      870   130       9    71     675  162    38     3464
MTT   NLHE      870   130       6    35     708  168   214        0


delta: $1,464
MTT NLHE massive balance: $37,290
balance: $10,048,554

No comments:

Post a Comment