Wednesday, April 19, 2017

No ignorant end

When you hit a straight in poker, you need to be aware of whether you have the ignorant end of it or not. The ignorant end is when you complete the straight with the low card of the straight, rather than the high card. In general, you don't want to either bet or call with the ignorant end; you just want to check. If someone else bets, your best course is to fold. Of course, even completing the straight with the high card doesn't guarantee you have the best straight; an opponent might have the same high card you do, plus the card one numerically higher than that. I call that scenario "high end plus" (and let me tell you, it sure hurts to get "high end plussed").

When you hit a straight flush, however, you don't have to worry about the ignorant end; essentially, the odds are so small that having the ignorant end will make a difference in the outcome that you can essentially treat them as zero. That's what I did, in the sixth hand I played last night. I hit a straight flush on the turn, where the board showed four contiguous cards to a straight flush and one of my hole cards completed it on the low end. My opponent, who had me covered, went all in, and I called. A sweet double up :-)

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE    17500  2500       6   107     430  114    32    63200


delta: $43,200
MTT NLHE balance: $2,622,348
2017 balance: $544,325
balance: $11,962,155

No comments:

Post a Comment