Tuesday, May 23, 2017

First rebuy tournament final table

Certain poker variants hold an endless fascination for me, even if I know they're no good for me. I looked forward to playing Omaha before I ever played it, believing I'd be able to do so profitably. I couldn't have been more wrong :-) I also looked forward to playing deuce before I ever played it, believing the same thing. I was closer to correct on that one. In their turn, Spin and Go, KO, and Power up poker all held a distinct allure for me at one time or another. My latest crush is rebuy tournaments. There's a certain devil-may-care nature to them which is very appealing. You need to be able to gamble it up, but still do so intelligently. I think I've only ever seen 9 max rebuy tournaments, and that makes a lot of sense; you don't want the blinds coming around and chopping into your stack as often as they do in 6 max, since there'll be some wild and wooly betting going on most of the time.

Last night, I made my first final table in a rebuy tournament, coming in seventh. I hit the rail once in the late registration period, did a rebuy, then went for the add on option when the late registration period ended. That was three bullets at $50,000 each, for a total outlay of $150,000. I was the second shortest stack when I reached the final table, and knew I'd have to use a "ladder up" mindset. The money jumps are enormous at the final table of these rebuy tournaments. After the shortest stack finished in ninth, I became the shorty. By folding, folding, and folding again, I was able to last long enough until someone got too frisky and hit the rail before me. I exited on the very next hand, but was a money jump of $105,000 richer for my efforts :-)

Will I play another rebuy tonight? You'd better believe it!

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE    17500  2500       6    36     479  114   213        0
MTT   NLHE    45000  5000       6    20     140   36    47        0
MTT   NLHE   130500 19500       9   116      72   15     7   595000


delta: $375,000
MTT NLHE balance: $3,503,848
2017 balance: $1,374,825
balance: $12,792,655

No comments:

Post a Comment