Tuesday, October 3, 2017

For want of a bounty

Lately, I've been warming up for poker by playing chess. The problem with this is that since I'm starting poker later in the evening, I can't be as choosy about what tournaments I enter. Last night, I would have had to wait 22 minutes to play an MTT-R NLHE. That wasn't going to cut it. Instead, I jumped into an MTT-B NLHE which had just one minute left in its late registration period. It seems to me the penalty for joining a bounty tournament late is much less severe than joining a rebuy tournament late; for one thing, typically many more players will have hit the rail in a bounty tournament at this stage than in a rebuy tournament, meaning there's lots of juicy dead money laying around. There are two main drawbacks to playing bounties instead of rebuys:

1. the money up top is much less
2. making the money in a bounty doesn't guarantee a profit; you must typically have won at least one bounty in addition to making the money

Obviously, it's much harder to win a bounty when you join a tournament late. Last night, I failed to win a bounty, so I had a loss on the night even though I made the money.

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT-B NLHE    44000  6000       9    22     171   36    34    28200


delta: $-21,800
MTT with bounties NLHE balance: $460,080
2017 balance: $18,369,350
balance: $29,787,180

No comments:

Post a Comment